_IGLESIA-FORTRESS OF SANTA CATALINA MÁRTIR (17TH – 18 TH CENTURY)
The parish church of Santa Catalina consists of two parts: the early 16th century, and aseries of enlargements ranging from the 18th century to our days.
The Church has a unique plant with four sections, altars between buttresses, vaulted arches based on traditional arches and a polygonal apse with five sides with starry Vault.
The first enlargement (18th century) tries to give the form of a Latin cross as an extension of the old Gothic plant. Also the orientation of the main altar is changed from East to West and the neoclassical style door is opened: the “Porta Nova”.
After this first enlargement the chapel of the communion was built today dedicated to SanVicente Ferrer and which houses a relic of the Saint and Holy image of the s. XVIII – and the new dependencies of the sacristy, between the 19th and 20th centuries.
Finally giving way to the erection of a new Bell Tower, around 1895. This Bell is a beautiful example of the hexagonal towers of medieval tradition. It has dimensions of 24 meters of perimeter at the base and a height of 31 meters.
_CHURCH – IGLESIA PARROQUIAL DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LOS DESAMPARADOS (S. XIX)
Located in the town of Moraira, this rectangular building consists of three naves, separated by pillars and four sections. The first of them, along with the four arches (remembering the typical riurau) , was built in 1981 during an extension.
The belfry, quadrangular, is located on the left side.
_ERMITA OF THE DIVINA PASTORA (17TH – 18 TH CENTURY)
ts architectural features are a simple and elegant Renaissance façade (17th century). The rest of the building, divided into two sections, is Baroque. The interior decoration, with geometric and vegetal motifs dating back to 1861.
The facade is crowned by a belfry and the cover has a first section forming a dome of green tiles.
In the past there was a brotherhood that moved the image in procession and celebrated an annual festival with the donations collected. Nowadays the Falçó Colla – “drummers i tabaleters” of Teulada Association – organizes the celebration in honor to the Divina Pastora in September.
_ERMITA OF SAN VICENTE FERRER (18 TH CENTURY)
Beautiful neoclassical building. Rectangular, the interior consists of three naves and four sections, highlighting the cover paintings and the altar dominated by a picture of San
Vicente (16th century), painted on wood and attributed to Gaspar de Requena, Renaissance artist and clasmate of Juan de Juanes.
It stands out due to its characteristic dome of blue, green and white tiles.
_ERMITA OF THE FONT SANTA (19 TH CENTURY)
It is a building consisting of the Hermitage, a fountain and the home of the hermit, who lived there in the past.
It was built in honor to San Vicente Ferrer. The story says that the Saint visited on several occasions his sister Constance, who lived in Teulada.
On one of these visits, during a walk, Constanza was thirsty. For this reason, San Vicente made water sprout in order to drink. To commemorate this miracle this hermitage was built in the same place with its fountain, whose water never stops sprouting.
The so-called Gothic walled Teulda , declared to be of Cultural interest (BIC) with the category of historical area, presents characteristics unique to the region of Valencia.
The area, popularly known as “la Vila”, is the ancient walled town. The whole area, of great beauty, harmony and regularity, dates from the time after the Christian conquest, with additions from the 16th and 17TH centuries. Buildings comprising of rough stone are of great interest, presenting constructive and aesthetic bothic characteristics. There are also buildings belonging to the Baroque period and few to modernism.
The fortified church of Santa Catalina, the Hermitage of the Divina Pastora and Jurats room i Justicies are the most relevant monuments of this historic complex.
_SALA OF JURATS AND JUSTICIES
It was built in the second decade of the 17TH century. (1620).
This building combines representation and functions of the House of the village or town hall and the recruitment market, intended to accommodate trade.
Its façade, great harmony and simplicity, is in rough stone masonry. On the ground floor it has three semicircular arches on the main façade and one on each side façade forming the open porch. On the top floor two windows open and a balcony over the fascia that runsalong the facade. It retains the Sundial of 1639 and has a backdoor in the calle San Jose with lintel decorated with small arc of shade.
Next to it, lies the home of Constance, sister of San Vicente Ferrer, Teulada, Patron Saint of Teulada.
_TORRE VIGÍA CAP D ‘OR
Found on the highest point of the peninsula of Cap d’Or, one of the most spectacular places on the coast and from which you can see one of the largest panoramic views over the horizon.
It was built at the end of the 16th century as a coastal fortification along with other towers of the Valencian coast, used to alert potential pirate raids . It has 7 m in diameter and 11 m in height.
The Cova de Cendra, upper Palaeolithic archaeological site is located to the Eastof theCap d’Or.
The castle of Moraira built in s. XVIII for defensive purposes and monitoring, dominates the beach of L’ampolla.
It has a characteristic “Ox Hoof”, with semicircular facade facing South and a single door in its northern part, over which hangs the coat of arms of the Bourbons – in which consists the date of completion, 1742-, Previously accessed by crossing a moat and a drawbridge . Walls, breakwaters, measuring 10 m in height in tosca brick, coated by rough stone blocks, which come from fossil dunes that were found in the area. The roof is protected by a small wall, with seven apertures, in the form of saetera, where cannons were located. Thick walls divide the interior into a central are and two side of smaller dimensions, occupying a total of 200 m2. The lighting of this space is achieved through three small windows which open to the South and a fourth on the entrance door. It houses a thematic installation on the Valencian coastline lookout towers.
Work by Francisco Mangado, it is of contemporary character. It was opened in 2011.It is a space set up by concrete walls highlighted by the Southeast façade oriented to the sea, covered with Blue ceramic tiles.
The auditorium is located in the highest point of Teulada from where you can see the town of Moraira beside the sea, and the beautiful landscape of terraced vineyards.It offers an extensive and varied cultural programming throughout the year.